Senior Level Technology, Information and Risk Executive
Strategic Technology Executive, who can architect and execute the strategic technology plan to meet business needs by building relationships, trust and a shared accountability for success. I have a track record of aligning technology with strategic vision, goals and initiatives that enhance both the internal user and customer experience as well as being able to understand and articulate the business value of technology and security. My passion is developing a highly engaged, responsive team that is focused on meeting the needs of the business through a measured, risk-based approach while constantly improving performance.
LEADERSHIP PRINCIPALS AND CORE VALUES
- Drove the adoption of National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Cybersecurity Framework at BECU
- Implemented the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) Cybersecurity Assessment Tool (CAT) as a method to measure Inherent Risk, Operational Maturity and Roadmap for Continuous Improvement
- Established an Enterprise Architecture Board (EAB) to create an architecture framework, provide project design guidance and conduct project reviews. The EAB helps streamline project design, which creates significant resource savings.
- Successfully implemented the production data center move from Seattle to Spokane to improve business continuity posture in response to concerns relating to the Howard Hanson Dam and Green River.This was accomplished with minimal member impact and now allows BECU to utilize two geographically divergent data centers to support production operations as well as support disaster recovery protocols.
- Coordinated with the project team and technical resources to deliver a project that improves the member experience as well as saving the enterprise ~19,000 staff hours per year.
- Successfully completed the implementation of new ATM MPLS network, which provides improved reliability and additional capabilities such as Snapshot deposit and ATM preferences.
- Participated on the original design team of the Equity Advantage Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) product.
- Identified the opportunity and successfully executed the Online Banking System replacement during a major enterprise conversion project.
TECHNOLOGY AND LEADERSHIP EXPERTISE
Risk Identification and Management
Strong technology background coupled with business accumen and experience enables a unique ability to identify and assess risk as well as provide mitigation and monitoring options that provide options for the business while maintaining or improving overall risk posture.
Played a critical role in an 11 million dollar, eighteen month long project leading staff and vendors for a major system conversion project. The project replaced eight major systems and implemented an integration engine between remote delivery channels and the core transaction system.
Enterprise/Business Process Monitoring
Provided leadership in the research, evaluation and implementation an enterprise-wide system monitoring solution including business application (BAM) and process monitoring (BPM) resulting in a reduction in downtime of critical member-facing systems.
Information Technology Infrastructure Implementation
Coordinated multiple service providers and vendors to implement a complete IT infrastructure including the networking, Microsoft file, Exchange and SQL servers. This was used by development and support staff to provide data warehousing for credit unions in an ASP-model. The production environment was co-located and included load-balanced web server farm with multiple application and database servers in a 3-tier architecture. The production environment included a storage-area network (SAN) and utilized a full Private Key Infrastructure (PKI) solution to control access.
Experience and familiarity with a wide range of technology including:
- Windows Server and desktop operating systems
- Database management systems (Oracle and SQL Server)
- Data communications and telecommunications equipment and protocols
- Information Security management frameworks
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILATIONS
- Leadership Executive MBA, Seattle University, 2012
- ISACA CRISC Certification Number 1620611 (September 2016 – present)
- Executive Leadership Board, NCU-ISAO (2016 – present)
- St. Philomena School Commission (2014 – present)
- Disabled American Veterans, Lifetime Member
- Fiserv DNA Technology Advisory Council, Member
- Fiserv Technology Advisory Board, Member
- CUNA Technology Council, Executive Committee Member (2014 – 2016)
- PSCU – IT Advisory Group, Member (2006 – 2015)
- CO-OP Technology Council, Member (2010 – 2015)
Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), Vice President of Information Security, BECU, Tukwila, WA (4/2015 – present)
- Responsible for the strategic vision and operational outcomes and improvements of the Information Security, Business Continuity and Enterprise Architecure teams.
- Member of the Operational Risk Management Committee and Crisis Management Team.
- Lead programs and processes to monitor the emergence of new threats and vulnerabilities, assessing impacts and driving responses as appropriate.
- Ensure that clear and timely business advice is provided to executive management on key information security and assurance issues.
- Establish an information security and risk management functional capability and architecture across the organization.
- Ensure that information security and risk is adequately represented on relevant business and governance forums and is known, well-integrated, and well-respected across the enterprise.
Vice President of Technology Services and Chief Security Officer (CSO), BECU, Tukwila, WA (2/2006 – 4/2015)
- Responsible for Data Center and Operations, Network and Security, Application Development, Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse and Enterprise Applications.
- Manage, mentor and develop forty-eight staff in four departments.
- Manage annual operating budget of $ 21M and capital budget of $2.5 – $4M
- Responsible for the technical design, development, implementation and production operations of all enterprise projects including vendor evaluation, selection, contract negotiation and vendor management.
IT Integration Architect, BECU, Tukwila, WA (5/2003 – 2/2006)
- Responsible for the design and development as well as the transition to operations of all system, application and vendor integrations.
- Engaged with credit card processor partner to improve operational reliability post-conversion.
- Member of the Enterprise Project Review Board that was made up of management across the organization and prioritized and scheduled all enterprise projects.
IT Manager, BECU, Tukwila, WA (4/2001 – 5/2003)
- Managed the Application Development and Business Analyst groups.
- Mentored and developed professional staff in a highly, dynamic technical environment which included a multi-system conversion of critical business systems.
Senior Information Analyst, CUBIweb, Tukwila, WA (4/2000 – 4/2001)
- Responsible for all network and communication infrastructure for hosted Business Intelligence platform for credit unions.
- Architected and implemented full Private Key Infrastructure (PKI) that controlled access to a multi-tenant hosted Business Intelligence platform.
- Provided end-user support for customer credit unions and managed technical projects as well as customer on-boarding.
Application Programmer/Analyst, BECU, Tukwila, WA (8/1997 – 4/2000)
- Web developer primarily responsible for providing web development resources for enterprise projects and initiatives.
- Evaluated new technical products and solutions prior to implementation and administered the corporate email system.
Customer Support Manager, Multicom Publishing, Inc. Seattle, WA (8/1994 – 8/1997)
- Various roles held as Multicom transitioned from start-up mode and early round investments through its Initial Public Offering including: Customer support Analyst, Network Administrator, System Administrator, Quality Assurance Analyst, Web Developer and Customer Support Manager.
Reactor Plant Mechanic and Engineering Laboratory Technician, U.S. Navy (9/1988 – 11/1994)
- Responsible for Radiological Controls, Analytical Chemistry for Reactor Plant and Steam Plant and Mechanical Operations and Maintenance
- Completed seven strategic missile deployment patrols on the USS Ohio SSBN-726 from 1990 – 1994
- Honorably Discharged on November 15, 1994
“Kyle’s training on a nuclear sub clearly comes through with his calm, cool decision making, attention to detail, and clear leadership in the midst of supporting a rapidly growing credit union. His understanding of back, middle and front end technologies allows him to lead teams to deliver a top banking experience for the end user. Not an easy task given the disparate technologies used in banking.”
Brian Bodell CEO at Finivation Software
“Kyle and I have worked together on numerous industry groups and advisory boards over the last 10+ years. In this capacity, we work at both the tactical level and at the strategic level and as a result I have the opportunity to see the breadth of Kyle’s knowledge and his strengths.
As one of the key technology leaders at BECU, one of the largest and most progressive credit unions in the industry, Kyle supports successful growth and innovation. He shares his expertise and best-practices willingly, which clearly demonstrates his collaboration and communication skills. His technical and operational knowledge are deep and learned through doing and constantly learning.
Kyle’s is respected by his peers outside of BECU for his ‘can-do’ attitude, flexibility, and willingness to help. He has an appreciation for the macro-trends, which makes him a strategic thinker.
I highly recommend Kyle for a Leadership position where technology, growth, and performance are expected outcomes.”
Jeff Johnson – CIO at Baxter Credit Union